Thursday, July 22, 2010

Paula Deen's Yeast Biscuits

                             

I cannot make biscuits to save my life. They end up little flat disks of hard flour. I have always used frozen biscuits, and it has worked out fine. However, I watched an episode of Paula Deen, and she made these yeast biscuits that were so fluffy and yummy looking I had to try them. You know what? I can totally make biscuits now!!! They are easy, and delicious- sort of a cross between a biscuit and a roll. So, try them today! (I halfed the recipe she had because it just makes waaaay too many for an average size family. This recipe makes 8-10)

Paula Deen's Yeast Biscuits

Preheat oven to 400 deg. F

mix together in mixing bowl:
1 pkg. yeast
1/4 C. lukewarm water
2 Tbsp. sugar

add to yeast mixture:
2 1/2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
1/4 + 1 Tbsp. shortening
1 C. buttermilk

mix all ingred. together until incorporated, but don't over mix. Place dough on floured surface and knead until not too sticky to handle; roll out to about 1/2" thick. (here's where I changed her recipe, I don't use a biscuit cutter- I like things to be as simple as possible!) Form dough into rectangle or square and cut into 8-10 equal size squares. Spray baking pan or baking dish. Form each square into a circle (if you want) and place in pan, or in dish- 2 inches apart. Bake for about 12 minutes, until nice and golden on top.

Great served with butter and homemade jam, or eaten as biscuits and sausage gravy!!!!

No comments:

THE Quiche

This recipe really should be called "Pepper Cheese Quiche" because it has delicious roasted red bell peppers and tons and tons of...