Friday, March 25, 2011

Creamy Vegetable Soup




Ahhhh. This soup really is unbelievable delicious, and it is so simple. Aaaannnd... it has a surprise ingredient. My sister-in-law gave it to me, and I can't stop eating it.  Perfect for a snowy spring evening (such as we have here in Utah.)  Make some and see for yourself.

Creamy Vegetable Soup

4 C. potatoes, peeled and diced


1 C. carrotts, peeled and sliced

1/2 C. chopped onion

1 C. celery, diced

4 C. water



Place the above in a heavy bottom pot and bring to boil. Cook until vegetables are tender. Without draining water, add:



1/2 C. butter

4 C. milk



Cook on medium heat until hot then add :



8 to12 oz. Cheese Wiz or Velveeta Cheese, cubed (I've used the cheapest store brand and name brand and the cheapest actually worked great. I know, processed cheese? But don't use real cheese. Cheddar will NOT make the soup smooth and creamy as the processed stuff will. Oh, I added about half again more than the recipe calls for because I like it cheesy!)



Now, thicken the soup by adding:



1/2 C. flour mixed with 1 C. cold water



Stir constantly and lower heat making sure not to burn bottom of pan.



Finally, add:



1 Tbsp. garlic powder

1 20 oz. package of frozen broccoli and cauliflower



and simmer on low until frozen veggies are cooked through.

*Tip: add any left over veggies you have around. I used left over asparagus tonight and it was super good.

1 comment:

Cadenza said...

I was reading the beginning and thought the surprise ingredient was onions. I see you did learn to eat them in the end ;) (Jana-who came on looking for that donut recipe from Feb).

THE Quiche

This recipe really should be called "Pepper Cheese Quiche" because it has delicious roasted red bell peppers and tons and tons of...